Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Week 6

(Click to enlarge and view details)

Assignment: (First draft of mash up #2)
The main objective for week six was to create a image, with the help of the pictures that we have taken and Photoshop, to convey a message to our audience. 

Craft: (How did I do it?)
I started with all the photos I taken during week five.  I looked at all of them and picked out certain ones that I liked and would fit well in the composition of my image.  The background of my piece was a large photo of a face.  Before I chose the specific picture I opened Photoshop and made a new blank document.  I chose a 11X17 page with 300 resolution.  Then I imported the background picture and sized it accordingly.  Next, I started to cut out the images I wanted to put in my picture.  I mostly used the magic wand tool to select the little worker people. I also used the mask to make sure I selected everything I wanted.  I did the same thing for all four mini people.  Then I imported all of them onto the background and resized them.  After I placed them were I wanted them to be I added shadows on all of them to make it look more realistic.  Then I started working on the highlights of the face by making each aspect a new layer.  This gave me the ability to move the layer around on the background image as well as not make permanent marks on the background layer.  These are most of the techniques I used to complete my first draft. 

Composition: (Arrangement of elements)
The main element of the image, at first, is the large right side of a face.  As you look closer you are able to see little mini beauty workers fixing certain areas of this persons face.  There is one changing the eye color, one covering up a pimple, one applying blush, and one whiting the persons teeth.  All of the little workers are in different parts of the face so that they all can be easily seen and what they are doing can be easily understood.  I chose 11X17 paper size so that these workers could be seen in detail and would not be overlooked.

Concept: (What am I trying to say?)
This images entitled, "Beauty of the Future," was created as a response to all of the new and sometimes controversial ideas of beauty enhancement.  With all of the new technology and scientific discoveries how far will people go to change themselves?  Will at one point individuals put super small organisms on there face to look make them look good?  How far is too far?  These are the issues and thoughts are what I want this very image to raise. 

2 comments:

  1. Craft: (How it was made?)
    -This art work was created using photoshop software and with a lot of creativity. In order for this project to convey its message, the artist had to plan ahead because the images that are posted are perfect for their intended role. This is a rough draft, but to me it looks like a final piece. The quality of this piece is astonishing thanks to the careful attention to detail by the artist. This quality is a result of using the right tools for the job; the tools used for this project are available in the photoshop and knowing their function not only makes work more efficient, but more productive which results in unique work.

    Composition: (How it was arranged?)
    -The arrangement of all the elements in this piece makes it easy for the viewer to read the picture and the intended message. Since the central theme of this piece is changing physical features, specifically the face, it is appropriate how the background is a face. There are a couple of changes being performed to the face. There is one changing the eye color, one covering up some imperfection, one applying blush, and one whiting the teeth. The little people that are making the changes are small enough to give the impression of a little army changing things for the better, but large enough that the viewer cannot miss them. The first thing that probably would get noticed is the background, the face, which would be followed by the little people making the changes.

    Concept: (What it is about?)
    -This project is about some people being obsessed with their physical appearance, and it raises a question as to how far is too far for the changes. Some people are willing to go really far; for example, botox is considered to be a toxic substance, but some people have a plastic surgeon inject it into their muscles to relax them, thus in effect getting rid of the wrinkles. This obsession has grown exponentially of the last couple of years and has developed into a million dollar industry, and everyone wants a piece of the piece. That is why it is only a matter of time before someone invents something new to help turn back the aging process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craft:
    This project was made using photoshop. He also took photographs that were very clear, maybe he utilized the photography room. As you can see he took images of painters and workers and used tools on photoshop to add them to the picture. He used the paint tools in order to change colors. Overall the way the picture was made was using techniques taught to us in class.
    Composition:
    The picture is arranged by having a woman's face the main picture. Then as you look closer you can see people working to correct or make her "better". You initially are drawn to the face, but imediately see the people who think she needs to be fixed in some ways. There are people fixing her eyes, teeth, and cheeks, and I was drawn to each in a different order everytime I looked at the picture.
    Concept:
    I feel that the overall concept was that society is so consumed with beauty and looks, and nothing much else. I feel this picture shows how a person who does not need work done can be pulled into what people tend to believe is the perfect look. Today so many people are stuck on perfection that they neglect to see anything other then the outside of a person.

    ReplyDelete